Saturday, August 18, 2012

Chapter One: Normal

The conspiracy stepped up its game today. They turned up the volume on my alarm clock, so when I woke up, it was with a blaring headache. Clever bastards.

They also removed the last of my aspirin, so my headache stayed with me as I drove to work. Other things the conspiracy did: manipulated traffic lights to cause congestion, set up construction areas in certain streets, parked cars in certain parking spaces, and all to make me late for work.

You might think that this is overkill. After all, each one of those could have made me late; however, all three combined  were certain to make me late and make my boss impatient and irritable at me. I was one step closer to getting fired. Just like the conspiracy wanted.

I know what you are thinking. You are thinking: why is he so special that an entire conspiracy seeks to ruin his life? I am not special. I am, in fact, very ordinary.

And that's why they wish to ruin me. Not to kill me. They wish to bring me to ruin, to dismantle my life bit by bit, piece by piece, until I am left with nothing except the jagged edges of broken dreams. All because I had the audacity to be normal.

"Oh, you're just paranoid," you think. Of course I am paranoid. I have to be. I have to watch each step I take, each turn signal, each person I make eye contact with. I have to be careful or else I will make a mistake, one mistake, and then the conspiracy will take another piece of my life away. They did it a year ago, they will do it again.

I can't give away my name. I will just refer to myself as Norman (short for 'Normal Man'). Norman sounds good.

This is my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment