Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Chapter Twelve: A Dream

I had a dream. The writer had fallen asleep and I sat on the chair beside him, tired and worried. And my eyelids became heavy and I lowered my head down and sleep rushed forward to engulf me.

I was at work. Except it was also a forest. There were trees rising out of the floor, but none of my coworkers noticed as they went about their day. Only I could see the trees and the strange shapes that flitted between them, the shadowy forms and insubstantial things that always moved out of the corner of my eye.

And then SHE was there. The ORACLE. I heard her voice, even though her mouth never moved. "There is a Wall. Invisible and unbreakable."

She moved forward and brushed my cheek with her razor-sharp fingers. "You will bring him to the Wall."

I looked at her and suddenly knew something was behind me. I just knew that the IVORY WOMAN was behind me and if I turned around, I would see a blank white tunnel.

I made my mouth move and say, "What is she?"

The ORACLE looked at me with pupil-less eyes and her voice rang in my ear as clear as day: "She is nothing. She cannot harm you. She seeks to delay the inevitable. She cannot win."

All things. Another voice. Soft, like a susurrus. All things tend towards chaos. Breaking down, bit by bit. The arrow of time takes all things. Even us. You cannot go backwards.

The ORACLE's face changed then. One moment it was calm and serene and then for a split second it changed into a snarl, lips drawn impossibly back, teeth bared, eyes red, forward creased and cracked, as if something was struggling to escape. Was this a mask or the mask torn away?

And then it was gone. She was back to being serene. Her voice flowed through my mind. "Ignore her. She is nothing. You must go to the Wall."

"The Wall must come crumbling down."

No comments:

Post a Comment