Monday, September 10, 2012

Chapter Eleven: Sleep

He's finally asleep. I dragged him back to my motel room and tried to calm him down. It was a strange reversal - me, trying to calm someone else down. But I have felt strangely calm ever since I met the ORACLE. I know I am not simply insane now and this makes me do things I would never have done before.

He did not want to sleep. He kept insisting that some "grotesque" thing would take him if he went to sleep. But his eyes were bloodshot and I knew it was only a matter of time before exhaustion overcame him and he slept.

Finally, he scribbled more things down in his notebook and then dropped it and collapsed onto the bed.

I gingerly picked up his notebook and looked through. More snippets:

a world where they are completely human. a world where they are completely incomprehensible.

new mythologies. no gods only devils.

a house made of doors. each one unlocked by a different key.



And then below that, there was a snippet of poetry:

one missing piece that makes it all fall down

one for the seer, dead and buried in the ground

one for the baby made of bone and grinding gears

these are the things that every man fears


I wonder what it all means.

I wish I could ask the ORACLE more questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment