Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Chapter Seventeen: Almost Dead


I almost died today. We were crossing a bridge when a car careened out of control. It swerved until it was pointed straight at me and I was frozen. I saw it coming and I couldn't move. I knew I should move, yet I was stock still, like a statue.

It was the writer who pulled me away, who pulled me down, scraping my hands on the hard bridge. And the car went off the side and down onto the road below us, making a horrific noise as it did, a crunching, crashing, breaking noise, a noise that still rings in my ears.

The Ivory Woman is not stopping. She wants me dead. She wants to stop us from reaching the Wall.

We ran from the scene – the writer and Tulip and I. We didn't want to talk to the police – we needed to create no ripples, as they say. No ripples in the pond.

I asked Tulip if she had heard of the Ivory Woman. "Sorry," she said. "I've heard of some weird shit, but nothing like that."

I wonder if anyone has?

No comments:

Post a Comment